Monday, November 15, 2010

Pie Trials

One of the items I am bringing to Thanksgiving this year is Andy's favorite, oatmeal pie.  In the past I have attempted homemade pie crust with mixed results.  Within the past few years I would normally just buy a premade pie shell and not even mess with the uncertainty of a homemade crust. 

However this year I wanted to give it another try.  There is just something rustic and comforting about homemade pie crust.  I had been given advice that the recipe for Pate Brisee was a foolproof recipe and Martha Stewart's favorite.  This weekend I did a test run and the results were yummy!  The pastry was flaky and buttery.  My only complaint is that I crimped the edges to make a pretty design and in the baking process lost its shape.


Most people when they hear about oatmeal pie crinkle their noses and give me a quizzical look like what the heck are you talking about.  Oatmeal pie is a Thanksgiving Kennedy tradition and Andy's favorite so I have made plenty.  Think pecan pie but swap the pecans for oatmeal.  I have to admit, it is delicious!

Oatmeal Pie
*6 TBS butter melted
*3/4 cup light corn syrup
*3/4 cup sugar
*1 cup oatmeal
*1 tsp vanilla
*2 eggs
*pie crust of choice

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Mix all ingredients, add eggs last so they will not cook in the melted butter.  Once all ingredients are completely mixed pour into pie shell and bake for 30-45 minutes.  The original recipe says 30 but I find I normally end up checking it after 30 but leaving it in for a full 45 minutes.  You will know its done when it is golden brown, it will at this point still be a bit jiggly.  Then take it out and let it cool for at least 20 minutes so that the filling can set.

No comments:

Post a Comment