Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Frosty Lettuce


The past few weeks life got a bit busy and I neglected to put the row cover back on top of the lettuce to protect it from some good frosts we have been having.  I figured the lettuce was a goner and thought it was about time to hang up the gardening gloves for the year.  But surprisingly enough the lettuce has sprung back and I made sure to get it covered before the couple of inches of snow we had this weekend.  I haven't had time to check it yet and see how it did.

Below you can see some signs of damage of the frost.  Some leaves have burnt edges or discoloration but most of the foliage is fine.  I have trimmed back most of the damaged pieces and will harvest a bunch of lettuce this week so see if the taste is at all affected.



No comments:

Post a Comment