Thursday, January 6, 2011

Winter Surprise

I started cilantro this Fall but it was so hot that the cilantro barely got going.  In my experiments with season extenders and row cover this Fall I covered the bed of cilantro and radish when I covered the lettuces and herbs.  With all the snow we had the lettuce did not survive under the row cover.  I assumed the cilantro and radishes had the same fate. 

All the snow recently melted and I was finally able to remove the row cover from the expired lettuce, herbs, cilantro and radishes.  The herbs fared well but I was surprised to find my cilantro has flourished.  It looks vibrantly green and has continued to grow.  I have covered them back up in hopes that the row cover will continue to protect them.  I can't tell you how ecstatic I will be if I get to have guacamole made with fresh from the garden cilantro during the Superbowl this year.

The radish leaves look a bit burned by the cold but the actual radishes look fine.  I will leave these in the ground for now since they haven't started to rot but have plateaued in their growth and aren't yet large enough.  Maybe we will have very very early Spring radishes.

No comments:

Post a Comment