Sunday, January 8, 2012

The Winter Harvest Handbook


While looking for a different Eliot Coleman book I ran across this one and was intrigued to see what could be done in the garden during the winter.  Eliot Coleman mainly writes for the small scale organic farmer and many of his greenhouse techniques aren't exactly applicable to my 300 sq. ft. greenhouseless garden.  But that being said I still really gained from the information I read.  He discusses the use of cold frames and gave me some ideas of how I could extend my growing season.  Additionally he explains how to properly tend plants in the winter, methods that have worked best for him, and varieties that have been winter work horses.  I highly suggest this book as a framework for what is possible beyond our typical growing seasons.

No comments:

Post a Comment