Monday, December 19, 2011

Cranberry Chutney

I make cranberry chutney every year around the holidays.  Cranberries are in season and it is a great relish for any holiday cheese plate.  It is also delicious with meat, in sandwiches or spread on crackers.  It is super simple to make and I freeze it in small batches to pull out and use throughout the year.  I am sure you could can it easily based on the amount of vinegar that is in the recipe but this time of year I just don't have the time to can and freezing it is easy.

1 12oz bag of cranberries
1 cup of each of the following ingredients: raisins, chopped onions, granny smith apples peeled and diced, sugar and white vinegar.
3/4 cup of both chopped celery and water
2 tsp cinnamon
1 1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp cloves

Put it all in a pan and simmer away until the most of the cranberries burst, the raisins plump and it is hard to tell all the different bits apart.  This normally takes 45 minutes to an hour.  You can do multiple batches at the same time in one pot.  I have done a quadruple batch in one pot before.  It just takes longer to cook than a single batch.  I estimate about 45 minutes per batch in the pot and know it's done when it reaches the right look and consistency.

2 comments:

  1. Love your cranberry chutney, going to make it for the holiday, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wanted to press "like" when I saw this!

    ReplyDelete