Friday, June 1, 2012

Dang Squirrels

These are two sunflowers I started from seed indoors, grew until they were sturdy and strong, then planted them out over three weeks ago.  I recently found them cut off at the ground level and laying in their spots otherwise untouched.  The squirrels year after year seem to have it out for my sunflowers.  Last year they uprooted them a few times and I would try to replant them until they cut them down just like this year.  I thought because I had let them get larger and sturdier than the small seedlings from the past that they would be fine.

So I have responded in defiance by trying again.  I had given away many of the sunflowers but held onto two continuing to water and care for them just in case something like this was to happen.  This time I planted one in a large pot among zinnias so that there should be at least one the squirrels don't get to.  The other went in the same spot the other two had been but I have used Repels-All hoping the product works.  I guess we will just see what happens.

2 comments:

  1. Argh, silly squirrels. My parents, who live in metro St. Louis, always have problems with them killing their sunflowers.

    Luckily, I do not see many squirrels venture out of our country woods. I think the larger critters running around take care of them if they leave their safe cover.

    ReplyDelete