Saturday, June 30, 2012

First Canning Of The Season

This week I made my first batch of jam for the season.  I made a blueberry lime jam and I am never going to make plain blueberry jam ever again.  The slight hint of lime completely changes the flavor and brightens the blueberries.

I did lower the amount of sugar so I cooked it just a bit longer to help it set since I had trouble last year with jam setting based on the lower sugar content.  However this recipe had added pectin so the jam is a little thick.  But it is still spreadable and I don't mind.  We just won't be gifting this batch.

The plan was to go pick more blueberries for fresh eating and jam but I just got an email from the berry patch.  Due to severe bird issues all of their berries are picked out for the season which is just crazy.  There is normally six good weeks of picking.  O well, I guess its super thick jam for this year.

Update
Since posting I have been asked for the recipe so here it is if you would like to try it.  I got it from Ball's Complete Book of Home Preserving.

4 1/2 cups blueberries
1 package powdered pectin
5 cups sugar (I only used 4)
1 T. grated lime peel
1/3 cup lime juice

Crush blueberries one layer at a time. Combine crushed blueberries and powdered pectin in a large saucepot. Bring to a boil, stirring frequently. Add sugar, stirring until dissolved. Stir in grated lime peel and lime juice. Return to a rolling boil. Boil hard 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Skim foam if necessary. Ladle hot jam into hot jars, leaving 1/4-inch headspace. Adjust two-piece caps. Process 15 minutes in a boiling-water canner. Yields about 6 half-pints.



3 comments:

  1. Hi Vanessa, I found your blog from the Thursday's Kitchen Cupboard post. Can you share the recipe for this jam? I'm getting a bunch of blueberries tomorrow and would love to make this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny - I have the Ball book. I should have paged through it first :)

      Delete