Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Tomatoes

I spent two hours at the garden center this weekend milling over tomatoes.  I have a tomato addiction.  When I go to the store I always want more than I can possibly fit into my garden.  I spend forever reading the tags, comparing varieties and trying to get the best possible mix for the garden.

I haven't started to grow my own because I do not have an indoor light system and I very rarely grow more than 1 plant per variety.  I like to have a little bit of everything.  To get one tomato start of each variety is about as cost efficient as buying a pack of seeds, so for now buying starts fits my needs.  I also get to try varieties that I might not want to invest in a packet of seeds until I know if I like it or not.


I ended up with choices different than what I had intended to buy because the store's selection was more limited than they have in the past.  The two I am most excited about is Giant Belgium which was developed for the Ohio's climate and Mannitoba which supposedly will have tomatoes in 58 days.  I bought Mannitoba just to see if their claims are correct, if I have tomatoes fresh from our garden by July 4th it would be amazing!

I am still in need of a good paste tomato and a yellow or orange variety for color since everything I have picked out is red or pink.  I would like to have room for 4-5 more plants but in reality I only have room for 1-2 more.  I will plant these probably by the end of the week when the soil should be warmer.  I am hoping my other go to garden center will get their good selection of tomatoes out soon!


1 comment:

  1. I can honestly say I'm the same way - tomato addict. Except I bought seed for all varieties that I wanted to try instead of waiting for plants because our local nurseries very rarely have anything other than hybrids. Can't wait to try some of them :)

    ReplyDelete