This past weekend was another working weekend where we checked a bunch of our projects/chores off our list. First was creating a stable bee stand for the hive. We had already leveled the sloping ground and built a mini retaining wall but we needed to build a sturdy and stable foundation for the stand.
Our stand is 9 cinder blocks, 6 which have been painted white to match the hive. It's important to have the hive off the ground so that moisture doesn't ruin the hive and critters can't get in it. We dug a hole to bury 3 of the bocks as the "basement" making sure that they were level and secure. Once the foundation was placed we just stacked the rest and filled in the soil around the blocks.
We also determined that the mini retaining wall needed reinforcements since the blocks would move a bit when you stepped on the soil next to them. We laid the same blocks that formed the wall down on their faces against the privacy fence. We tamped down extra soil around them and in between the fence to fully secure them. We now have a very secure, stable and level stand for the bees.
With the mulch raked back into place and ready for the hive.
This is what happens when you don't wear gloves, but sometimes gloves just get in the way :)