Friday, May 6, 2011

Spring Dinner

In our house eggs are for more than just baking or breakfast we also eat them at lunch and dinner.  They are my quick go to when I haven't dethawed anything and we want to eat something soon.  Asparagus is something we also eat in large quantities in the Spring, because it is just better in season.  Out of season it just doesn't taste good and I don't like the fact that it has to travel a long distance just to get to me.

Most everything I used is from the farmers market.  Being that we now eat as locally as possible.  Eating locally can still be yummy and satisfying, you just don't eat asparagus year round.  But this actually makes asparagus enjoyable and exciting because you don't have it all the time.  It's like Christmas, since it only comes once a year we really get into the spirit but if we had it all the time it wouldn't be a big deal.  Food can be the same, it's best during specific seasons when it is supposed to be grown and we get excited to eat it then. 

I don't really know what to call this.  It isn't a quiche or a fritatta, but I can tell you it was good!  I am one of those cooks who regularly does not follow recipes, just uses what's in her fridge, and adds a bit of this and a bit of that.  So to give an exact recipe for what I did is difficult, but here we go.

I first browned a pound of pork sausage and then set it aside.  In the drippings with a bit of extra virgin olive oil I browned some diced red potatoes and then a zucchini I had in the fridge.  I did not saute them until they were fully cooked only just to get them going, they finish cooking in the oven.  You could use any veggies you have on hand and this would also be the time I would add in any garlic, herbs or seasoning.  I returned the potatoes to the bottom of the pan in an even layer, then layered on the sausage and then the zucchini.  On top I poured on eggs that had been whisked with milk.  I used about 8-9 eggs and approximately 1/3 cup milk.  You need enough just to cover all the layers.  I then placed cut uncooked asparagus spears on top alternating bottom and top pieces.  Do not precook the asparagus otherwise you will have stringy overcooked mush.  I do not like overcooked asparagus, I never liked asparagus as I child because it was always overcooked.  I put the whole thing in the oven at 350 degrees until done, for me this was about 35 minutes.  You know its done when the middle doesn't jiggle when you shake the pan.  I start checking it after about 25-30 minutes and then check it in 5 minute intervals after that.  Once it was done we sliced it up and topped it with goat cheese.


2 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh Vanessa, I'm stealing this recipe! Did you make it in a pie pan or an actual "cooking" pan with a handle?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used a cast iron skillet it is about 12-14 inches in diameter. I sometimes also use one of my calphalon cooking pans, it just depends on my mood if I go cast iron or not.

    ReplyDelete